BREAKING: Soldier, 19, found dead in his Army barracks just 24 hours after being put on ‘risk register’

A British Army soldier took his own life just 24 hours after being put on the ‘risk register’ following his arrest, an inquest has heard. Ebrima Nyabally, who joined the Army when he was 17, was found dead in his room at the barracks in Tidworth on February 25 just five days after joining a new squadron....READ FULL ARTICLE

On the day before his death, the 19-year-old had been arrested by the Royal Military Police for unknown reasons. They decided to release him as there was ‘nothing to suggest any risk of suicide of self harm’, a coroner was told.

However, following a routine check that was put in place to ensure his safety a sergeant found the teen soldier hanged in the bathroom.

Malang Nyabally, Ebrima’s father, has said: ‘I am absolutely heartbroken. He did not die in the war, he died in the barracks. My family legacy is broken.’

Ebrima Nyabally, who joined the Army when he was 17, was found dead in his room at barracks in Tidworth on February 25

The 19-year-old moved to the UK from Gambia and was planning to follow in the footsteps of his father by joining the Army

Signaller Nyabally, who moved to the UK from Gambia when he was only six years old, followed in his father Malang’s footsteps and joined the British Army at the age of 17.

Related Post  Grace Wairimu: Kenyatta University Lecturer Quits Job to Go to the US Only to End Up Taking Care of the Old and Sick

In February last year he joined the 255th Signal Squadron in the Swinton Barracks based in Tidworth, Wiltshere.

An inquest held in Salisbury, Wiltshire, heard he was ‘fresh out of’ training when he joined and was well-liked by his peers.

Describing him, Lance Corporal Luke Fowler said: ‘Signaller Nyabally joined the squadron in February, shortly after coming out of phase two training.

‘He was a happy guy, really happy to have joined the squadron. I got on with him well but he didn’t chat much.’ On February 24th, the soldier was arrested on an undisclosed matter and he was held in a cell until late that evening.

His superiors made the decision to discharge him, but for safety reasons he was put under a unit risk register with ‘measures’.

Giving evidence, Major Philip Taylor told the coroner: ‘As you have heard stated in statements, there were to be regular checks every 12 hours by the duty officer to touch base with Signaller Ebrima – just to check up on him.

‘That’s the reason they didn’t remand him in custody. In light of being told that I deemed it appropriate to touch base with him.’

The soldier said the teenager did not behave in ‘any other way’ than one would expect in a ‘stressful situation’.

Related Post  Rising Cost of Goods: Ekiti, Traders To Set Up Price Control Taskforce

He said: ‘There was no assessed risk that suicide or self-harm was likely. If we said we were going to stay with him for 24 hours… in my mind that didn’t allow him time to process the situation in his own way.

‘I wanted to make sure that there was a physical meeting time and place.’

In further justifying the decision not to detain the Signaller, Major Taylor said his peers on the block didn’t know he had been arrested and it was heard a knife and razor were confiscated from his room.

Trying to hold back their tears, Ebrima’s parents said they feel like they have been ‘left in the dark’ (pictured – file photo of Tidworth army barracks)

On February 24 Sergeant Elliot Crush, the duty officer that evening, found Nyabally hung in his bathroom after performing a routine check.

Assistant Coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, Ian Singleton, concluded a verdict of suicide after the inquest.

He said: ‘More likely than not, Ebrima attempted to take his own life based on how he was found. In those circumstances, it’s appropriate to return a verdict of suicide.’

The 19-year-old’s fatherdescribed his son as a ‘shy, generous and kind young man who had his whole life ahead of him’.

After his death, Ebrima’s parents said they felt like they had been ‘left in the dark’.

Related Post  JUST IN: A Woman Will Test You In These 10 Areas To See How Mature You Are

His father added: ‘I am so angry about everything. I wanted to see his body. I wanted to see the place where he did it. We want answers.

‘What hurts us most is that we cannot see his face. We do not know what we are going to find. I was so proud of him. He was the one who would have carried on my legacy.’

Mr Nyabally said that having to tell the devastating news to Ebrima’s three siblings ‘was the worst thing that I had to do’.

‘They were all crying,’ he said. ‘On the last day they spent together, Ebrima bought him a takeaway. They loved him very much. He was very generous. He used to send us £100 every month. He was very caring. He had a very strong faith as well.

‘He has never been unhappy in the army. Ebrima loved life.’

Ebrima is not the first young soldier to have taken his life at the Tidworth barracks.

Fusilier Jake Llewellyn Plumb, 23, was found dead in his room after a friend alerted colleagues that they’d received a message warning he was going to kill himself.

The young soldier, from Pembrokeshire, hanged himself in his barracks two days after his girlfriend broke up with him, a previous inquest heard.…READ FULL ARTICLE

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.